martes, 26 de octubre de 2010

FUTURE

There are many ways of expressing Future in English, which can be a little confusing. Let's read some notes on that and try to make it clearer.
WILL
  • It is used to talk about a future fact.
            Ex. He'll be 18 next month
  •  We also use WILL to make predictions. It is often preceeded by opinion verbs or connectors( I think / I hope/ I imagine/ Perhaps/ It's possible...) and followed by a time expression
             Ex. I think it'll rain tomorrow. Perhaps she'll be late
  •  It also express an intention made at the moment of speaking
             Ex. It's very hot. I'll take off my coat.

GOING TO
  • It is commonly used for predictions when there is evidence that something is going to happen.
           Ex. I haven't studied for today's exam. I'm going to fail.
  • It is also used for future intentions, when a decision has already been made.
           Ex. When I finish Batxillerat I'm going to go to university.

PRESENT SIMPLE
  • It is used to tals about timetables, itineraries... that is, fute events that we cannot control
            Ex. The bell rings at 8 o'clock every morning or The plane for Paris leaves at 9.30

PRESENT CONTINUOUS
  • It is used to talk about future arrangements (intentions that involve organisation like writing down in a diary ofr not forgetting something)
            Ex. I'm having vegetables for lunch everyday (the doctor told me to do so if I wanted to lose   weight)

FUTURE CONTINUOUS
  • It is used to describe a situation in the future ata a particular time
           Ex. This time next month I'll be eating lunch on the plane on my way to London.
  • It is also used to predict a future state or habit at a particular time in the future.
           Ex. In two years time I expect I'll be living in Barcelona and I'll be cycling all around the city.

FUTURE PERFECT
  • It is used to talk about an action that will be completed before an specific time in the future. The Future Perfect looks back from a point in the future and refers to an indefinite time up to that point.
           Ex. By the time we get there, the film will have started. 
                 When we get there we can say: The film has started

For practising with FUTURE TENSE: Activity 1, Activity 2, Activity 3, Activity 4, Activity 5, Activity 6, Activity 7, Activity 8, Activity 9
Grammar CHARTS

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario